Saturday, July 26, 2014

six potions a day

After the quest is done, do heroes have to deal with an addiction to healing potions?

In most games I've played, by the end, I'm sucking down whatever restores my health by twos and threes. If it's a magic spell, it's long since become muscle memory; if it's a drug or potion, I'm probably rolling around the world in the rough equivalent of one of those party hats with a beer can on either side of my head.

At the end of it, though, does the hero end up blowing through that massive stockpile of nearly-useless currency on a lifetime supply of Megalixirs that he somehow used up in a year? Is he jonesing for a hit of the good stuff whenever he stubs his toe or cuts himself shaving? After a long adventure full of being set on fire and hit with swords and thrown off cliffs and hit with meteorites, where there were probably non-trivial parts of his day where he was technically more healing potion than person, his brain perched awkwardly atop a rickety stack of flesh being knitted together yet again by another hearty dose of whatever crap is in these things, does he react to even mild injury with a massively overpowered burst of six-digit healing magic that could bring a man back and walking from a smear of charcoal across the floor of a cave?

If I were Terry Pratchett, the old campaigner with a serious healing problem would already have been in my work somewhere. Might still show up.

(This post, and how late and only technically adherent to the terms of my self-imposed challenge it is, is brought to you by my rampant stimpack addiction in Fallout: New Vegas, which was sitting on top of my games backlog for about a year and a half. Taunting me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment